Home Live Radio Podcast Live TV Vodcast Forum Files Login Register :     Contact : 

Forum index Forum: Missing Stations Topic: Stations changing stream urls causes saved Favorites not to play Last replied to: July 31, 2018, 9:00 am Back to post view
AuthorPostOptions
Posted by angelranger Message # 1     Posted at July 29, 2018, 1:28 pm,     subject: Stations changing stream urls causes saved Favorites not to play  
Registration date: December 23, 2014

Apparently with new listening devices on the market, broadcast radio stations are adapting and adding to their stream urls to accommodate the new listening audience. In my experience this sometime leads to the database url no longer working when accessed with our old-timey internet radios!

Trying to find the new station url that does work can be a chore and I do not have the expertise to search
the station player page under 'Inspect' or 'View Page source' functions. It is buried in there somewhere in 
web page code. 

I bring this up as I selected WXXI-FM Classical Rochester New York in my favorites and found the old connection did not work although it did a few weeks ago. I was able to reconnect after changing the url to
a redirected mp3 address and it works. Just thought I would relate my experience to inform you when your favorite radio station does not play, it may be because the radio station has changed their stream url to give 'Alexa' and apple devices new ways to connect. The higher grade stream for WXXI is now AAC but I could not get that one to work. The basic mp3 did.  

(Last Edited by angelranger on July 29, 2018, 1:29 pm)

Posted by Nobi Message # 2     Posted at July 30, 2018, 10:09 am,     subject: Stations changing stream urls causes saved Favorites not to play  
Registration date: April 27, 2013

Hello Tim,
I don't know if your radio device may be affected by this "Penbex problem", not capable of playing AAC streams.
There are other radios well prepared for AAC. So the record WXXI-FM AAC became available as well on our database now.

Posted by angelranger Message # 3     Posted at July 31, 2018, 12:33 am,     subject: Stations changing stream urls causes saved Favorites not to play  

Hello Nobi,  yes I have not heard on Penbex types not being able to play AAC but I am glad you mention it.
                    My Cobra CIR is probably 12+ yrs old. What newer type radios would you recommend?

When I checked WXXI on the database it had the puzzle icon = not playing. When I changed to mp3 it would play. Meanwhile back at the home radio I still get Service Not Available after over 24 hours. I re-saved to my favorites the day of change to mp3 too. So it's a conundrum.
Thanks and Ciao,

Tim

Posted by angelranger Message # 4     Posted at July 31, 2018, 1:02 am,     subject: Stations changing stream urls causes saved Favorites not to play  

Further to new streams, just added Folk Alley, in Ohio. Too late I saw there was an older version which url I reformatted as well.

Posted by penbex Message # 5     Posted at July 31, 2018, 9:00 am,     subject: Stations changing stream urls causes saved Favorites not to play  
Registration date: May 21, 2009

Yes, the Cobra CIR is a Penbex device and indeed it is not capable of playing AAC streams.
Before Penbex went bankrupt I tried to get that fixed but they said the hardware is not powerful enough to do the AAC decoding in software in real-time.
I was willing to work on an aac module with some heavy optimizations to at least try it out. 
I am not sure if they simply did not want to spend more time on the devices as they must have seen the bankruptcy coming their way or that they already had tried to get it running.

I am sure we could create something simple with a Pi, small display and the listenlive code.. but so far no one has showed an interest.