Home Live Radio Podcast Live TV Vodcast Forum Files Login Register :     Contact : 

Forum index Forum: Device: SkyTC - KMP510 (Envivo Otek Xenta Arnova) Topic: Original firmware backup Last replied to: August 31, 2012, 10:04 pm Back to post view
AuthorPostOptions
Posted by pauluspaulus Message # 1     Posted at August 31, 2012, 10:49 am,     subject: Original firmware backup  
Registration date: August 31, 2012

Hi.

Is there a way of doing original firmware backup in SkyTC based devices? I'd like to replace Wiwa eRTV208 firmware with Listenlive one but want to be able to go back to original one in case I need to use my guarantee. Unfortunately WIWA does not provide any firmware updates nor even current version for download. It looks like some kind of backup procedure is the only way then. Is it possible?

pauluspaulus

Posted by penbex Message # 2     Posted at August 31, 2012, 3:27 pm,     subject: Original firmware backup  
Registration date: May 21, 2009

Quote:
Hi.

Is there a way of doing original firmware backup in SkyTC based devices? I'd like to replace Wiwa eRTV208 firmware with Listenlive one but want to be able to go back to original one in case I need to use my guarantee. Unfortunately WIWA does not provide any firmware updates nor even current version for download. It looks like some kind of backup procedure is the only way then. Is it possible?

pauluspaulus

As said in my other post, there are ways to dump the contents. Creating an image to flash the device is a bit harder but not impossible.

However, what I was wondering about, in what case do you actually want to claim warranty? When the device is dead and has to be replaced they can not see what firmware is on it.
Wiwa does not even have the required factory tools that I have. So even if they would like to try, there is no way for them.
All resellers of these devices, including wiwa, are told to replace the device in case of any problems. All resellers also get their defective devices replaced by the Chinese manufacturer, so they dont care..

What I can offer you is that you update and use the LL firmware and contact me when you have a issue and need to claim warranty, we discuss how to do that and I will help you in case you need to replace any files.
Alternatively I can also give you a tool that will remove ALL firmware...

~william

Posted by pauluspaulus Message # 3     Posted at August 31, 2012, 8:30 pm,     subject: Original firmware backup  
Registration date: August 31, 2012

I was thinking of non-bricking/non-destructive failures. Perfect example would be partial LCD failure - dead/hot lines or areas. I've seen such failures in SkyTC devices reported - I believe even in this forum. In such case it's clearly visible that firmware was altered because device is in working state. (Every) manufacturer/reseller will refuse guarantee repair because there is no original firmware - even if it has nothing to do with the physical failure.

I believe your idea of finding the solution when the problem happen is good and definitely time-saving as we may never need it For me it's enough that you're ready to help IF that happens.

Thanks

pauluspaulus

Posted by penbex Message # 4     Posted at August 31, 2012, 10:04 pm,     subject: Original firmware backup  
Registration date: May 21, 2009

as long as you can (partially) see the firmware I can make  something to erase it..