Home Live Radio Podcast Live TV Vodcast Forum Files Login Register :     Contact : 

Forum index Forum: Device: SkyTC - KMP510 (Envivo Otek Xenta Arnova) Topic: xoro HMT 350 randomly freezing Last replied to: December 12, 2011, 2:07 pm Back to post view
AuthorPostOptions
Posted by jandy123 Message # 1     Posted at December 12, 2011, 9:03 am,     subject: xoro HMT 350 randomly freezing  
Registration date: July 28, 2011

Since one week ago, my xoro hmt350 started behaving erratically. Many times during an mp3 playback or internet radio, the device simply freezes. Then, the only solution is to unplug the power cord, to force the device to reboot.

Looking in the kernel logs, it seems that it starts showing signs of nand flash corruption.

I would like to know if other xoro users have the same issues...

Further, does anyone know what causes such flash corruption ? Maybe william ???

Cheers,
Andrei

P.S. @wiliam Congratulations for your brand new firmware When will it be avaiable for xoro devices ?

Posted by penbex Message # 2     Posted at December 12, 2011, 9:22 am,     subject: xoro HMT 350 randomly freezing  
Registration date: May 21, 2009

Quote:
Since one week ago, my xoro hmt350 started behaving erratically. Many times during an mp3 playback or internet radio, the device simply freezes. Then, the only solution is to unplug the power cord, to force the device to reboot.

Looking in the kernel logs, it seems that it starts showing signs of nand flash corruption.

I would like to know if other xoro users have the same issues...

Further, does anyone know what causes such flash corruption ? Maybe william ???

Cheers,
Andrei

P.S. @wiliam Congratulations for your brand new firmware When will it be avaiable for xoro devices ?

Hi, thats what I called the timebomb earlier on. Not that there is a predefined time and date when the device starts to fails but rather that it is going to happen at some point in time. Most likely when the device is out of warranty 

I have heard of one Xoro dying this way before. Also some Envivo's some Wiwa's a bunch of Arnovas and many Xenta's (the oldest batches around?).
In nearly all cases the problem came by itself and was not related to flashing new firmware.

The problem is caused by bad coding in the firmware as done by the Chinese company that produces all these devices.
There are a large number of mistakes in that code.
One of them I explained earlier as trying to repair a NTFS drive with FAT repair tools. Meaning that a tiny error which could be easily solved is actually starting a chain reaction that in the end causes the flash to be empty.

I have planned to release the Xoro version later today. not 100% sure yet as version 1.1 is also getting closer.

Posted by doublet Message # 3     Posted at December 12, 2011, 10:34 am,     subject: xoro HMT 350 randomly freezing  
Registration date: August 8, 2011

Hi Andrei,
perhaps my first Xoro has gone due to timebomb mentioned by William. I suppose there was buggy flash there, since it was not possible to read some files from flash trough USB and access was extremely slow. Then  after I wanted to change the FW, Xoro was not able to boot again (recovery method wasn't possible either). As I was in Amazon's 30-day period, I've returned it and got replacement. New Xoro is from different batch (I think it has at least different WiFi module). There is no issue with it till now.
Tomas

Posted by jandy123 Message # 4     Posted at December 12, 2011, 12:55 pm,     subject: xoro HMT 350 randomly freezing  

Thanks for your replies. Question is now, what can I still do. Should I attempt flashing gain the firmware, or try to repair the partitions, etc. 

@William: Where exactly did you spot the mistakes you talk about  ? In the jz-media app, or in the recovery fw, etc. ?
What options  do I have to try to repair the fs.

Cheers,
Andrei

Posted by penbex Message # 5     Posted at December 12, 2011, 1:00 pm,     subject: xoro HMT 350 randomly freezing  

Bugs are all over the place. including the jz-media-app, kernel, recovery app and bootloader 

The one that corrupts memory is found in both the jz-media-app and recovery.

Also, while the cpu design is supposed to have two kernel images, one for recovery mode and one for normal operation..
all boxes I have seen so far only had 1 working image. 

Posted by jandy123 Message # 6     Posted at December 12, 2011, 1:45 pm,     subject: xoro HMT 350 randomly freezing  

@william: Any idea how I can try to recover from such errors ? I mean, what can I still do ?

Andrei

Posted by penbex Message # 7     Posted at December 12, 2011, 2:03 pm,     subject: xoro HMT 350 randomly freezing  

On the Xoro page there are two 64 mb files available for download. Does one of these two files match your device?
If so, you could reflash with that as these are recovery files...

Posted by jandy123 Message # 8     Posted at December 12, 2011, 2:07 pm,     subject: xoro HMT 350 randomly freezing  

William, thanks for the tip. I forgot about those files. I'm gonna check the SN of the device and see if they match. I'll let you know what I find as soon as I get home.

Hopefully, I can flash the original FW, so that later I can flash yours .

Cheers,
Andrei